When you use Legal Wizard, you trust us with your personal data. We're committed to keeping that trust. That starts with helping you understand our privacy practices.
This notice applies to users of Legal Wizard's services anywhere in the world, including users of Legal Wizard's apps, websites, features, or other services. Use of this service creates an attorney-client relationship and attorney-client privilege. All transactions and this user agreement also comply with the ABA Model Rules of Professional Responsibility.
This notice describes how Legal Wizard and its affiliates collect and use personal data. This notice applies to all users of our apps, websites, features, or other services anywhere in the world.
This notice specifically applies to:
- Clients: individuals who request or receive legal services.
- Providers: Licensed attorneys by the Michigan State Bar who provide or submit applications to Legal Wizard to provide legal services.
This notice also governs Legal Wizard's other collections of personal data in connection with Legal Wizard's services. All those subject to this notice are referred to as "users" in this notice.
Our data practices are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we engage in the practices described in this notice in a particular country or region only if permitted under the laws of those places. Please contact us or through the addresses below with any questions regarding our practices in a particular country or region.
III. Data collections and uses
A. The data we collect
Legal Wizard collects:
- Data provided by users to Legal Wizard, such as during account creation.
- Data created during use of our services.
- Data from other sources, such as Legal Wizard partners and third parties.The following data is collected by or on behalf of Legal Wizard:
- Data provided by users. This includes:
- User profile: We collect data when users create or update their Legal Wizard accounts. This may include their name, email, phone number, login name and password, address, profile picture, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), government identification documents, including driver's license numbers and images, birthdate, signature, and photo. This also includes BAR P# information. We may use the photos submitted by clients and/or providers to verify their identities.
- Background check and identity verification: We collect background check and identity verification information for Providers. This may include information such as BAR admission verification and/or criminal record (where permitted by law), and right to work. This information may be collected by an authorized vendor on Legal Wizard's behalf.
- Demographic data: We may collect demographic data about users, including through user surveys.
- User content: We collect the information users submit when they contact Legal Wizard customer support.
- Data created during use of our services. This includes:
- Transaction information: We collect transaction information related to the use of our services, including the type of services requested or provided.
- We may collect driving records and/or criminal background records for any of our user clients or providers.
- Usage data: We collect data about how users interact with our services. This includes data such as access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and third-party sites or services used before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this data through cookies, pixels, tags, and similar tracking technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers.
- Device data: We may collect data about the devices used to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion data, and mobile network data.
- Communications data: We enable users to communicate with providers and Legal Wizard through Legal Wizard's mobile apps and websites. To provide this service, Legal Wizard receives some data regarding the calls, texts, or other communications, including the date and time of the communications and the content of the communications. Legal Wizard may also use this data for customer support services (including to resolve disputes between users), for safety and security purposes, to improve our products and services, and for analytics.
- Data from other sources. This includes:
- User feedback, such as ratings or feedback.
- Vendors who help us verify users' identity, background information, and eligibility to provide legal services, for regulatory, safety, and security purposes.
- Publicly available sources.
- Marketing service providers.
Legal Wizard may combine the data collected from these sources with other data in its possession.
B. How we use personal data
Legal Wizard collects and uses data to enable the providing of efficient legal services. We also use the data we collect:
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- For customer support
- For research and development
- To enable communications between users
- To send marketing and non-marketing communications to users
- In connection with legal proceedings
Legal Wizard does not sell or share user personal data with third parties for their direct marketing, except with users' consent.
Legal Wizard uses the data it collects for purposes including:
- Providing services and features. Legal Wizard uses the data we collect to provide, personalize, maintain, and improve our products and services.
This includes using the data to:
- Create and update users' accounts.
- Verify attorney providers identity, licensing, background history, and eligibility to work.
- Offer, process, or facilitate payments for our services.
- Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems; to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends.
- Safety and security. We use personal data to help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our services and users. This includes:
- Screening users and attorney providers before enabling their use of our services and at subsequent intervals, including through reviews of background checks, where permitted by law.
- Using device, location, profile, usage, and other data to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities.
- Using user ratings and feedback to encourage compliance with our Community Guidelines.
- Customer support. Legal Wizard uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls with notice to and the consent of the user) to provide customer support, including to:
- Direct questions to the appropriate customer support person
- Investigate and address user concerns
- Monitor and improve our customer support responses and processes
Research and development. We may use the data we collect for testing, research, analysis, product development, and machine learning to improve the user experience. This helps us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, improve our ability to prevent the use of our services for illegal or improper purposes, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
Enabling communications between users. For example, a client may call an attorney to ask specific questions about their ticket or provide more specific information.
Marketing. Legal Wizard may use the data we collect to market our services to our users. This includes sending users communications about Legal Wizard services, features, promotions, sweepstakes, studies, surveys, news, updates, and events. We may also send communications to our users about products and services offered by Legal Wizard.
We may use the data we collect to personalize the marketing communications (including advertisements) that we send, including based on user location, past use of Legal Wizard's services, and user preferences and settings.
Non-marketing communications. Legal Wizard may use the data we collect to generate and provide users with receipts; inform them of changes to our terms, services, or policies; or send other communications that aren't for the purpose of marketing the services or products of Legal Wizard.
Legal proceedings and requirements. We may use the personal data we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to use of Legal Wizard's services.
C. Cookies and third-party technologies
- Authenticating users
- Remembering user preferences and settings
- Determining the popularity of content
- Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
- Generally understanding the online behaviors and interests of people who interact with our services
D. Data sharing and disclosure
Some of Legal Wizard's products, services, and features require that we share data with other users or at a user's request. We may also share data with our affiliates, subsidiaries, and partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
Legal Wizard may share the data we collect:
Within the ABA Model rules of Professional Responsibility.
At the user's request.
With the Legal Wizard account owner
With Legal Wizard service providers and business partners
Legal Wizard provides data to vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms, and other service providers or business partners. These include:
- Payment processors and facilitators
- Background check and identity verification providers (attorneys only)
- Cloud storage providers
- Marketing partners and marketing platform providers, including social media advertising services
- Data analytics providers
- Research partners.
- Vendors that assist Legal Wizard to enhance the safety and security of its apps
- Consultants, lawyers, accountants, and other professional service providers
- Insurance and financing partners6. For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute
Legal Wizard may share users' personal data if we believe it's required by applicable law, regulation, operating license or agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns. This includes sharing personal data to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements, or other policies; to protect Legal Wizard's rights or property or the rights, safety, or property of others; or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to the use of our services. If you use another person's credit card, we may be required by law to share your personal data, including trip or order information, with the owner of that credit card.
This also includes sharing personal data with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
- With consent
Legal Wizard may share a user's personal data other than as described in this notice if we notify the user and they consent to the sharing.
E. Data retention and deletion
Legal Wizard retains user profile, transaction, and other personal data for as long as a user maintains their Legal Wizard account.
Legal Wizard may retain certain user data after receiving an account deletion request if necessary, such as to comply with legal requirements.
Legal Wizard retains user profile, transaction, and other information for as long as a user maintains their Legal Wizard account. For attorneys, Legal Wizard also retains background check information (to the extent permitted by law) for as long as they maintain their Legal Wizard account.
Legal Wizard may also retain certain information if necessary for purposes of safety, security, and fraud prevention.
F. Grounds for processing
We only collect and use personal data where we have lawful grounds to do so. These include processing user personal data to provide requested services and features, for purposes of Legal Wizard's legitimate interests or those of other parties, to fulfill our legal obligations, or based on consent.
We collect and use personal data only where we have one or more lawful grounds for doing so. Such grounds may vary depending on where our users are located, but generally include processing personal data:
a. To provide requested services and features
In order to provide our services, we must collect and use certain personal data. This includes:
- User profile data, which we use to establish and maintain user accounts; verify user identity;
- Background information, which is used to verify an attorney's eligibility to be a service provider for Legal Wizard.
- Usage data, which is necessary to maintain, optimize, and enhance Legal Wizard's services.
- Transaction information
- Information relating to customer support
b. For purposes of the legitimate interests of Legal Wizard or other parties
This includes using personal data to maintain and enhance our users' safety and security.
c. To fulfill Legal Wizard's legal obligations
d. With consent
Legal Wizard may collect and use personal data based on the user's consent. For example, we may collect personal data through voluntary surveys. Responses to such surveys are collected on the basis of consent and will be deleted once no longer necessary for the purposes collected.
A user who has provided consent to a collection or use of their personal data can revoke it at any time. However, the user will not be able to use any service or feature that requires collection or use of that personal data.
IV. Updates to this notice
We may occasionally update this notice. Use of our services after an update constitutes consent to the updated notice to the extent permitted by law.
We may occasionally update this notice. If we make significant changes, we will notify users in advance of the changes through the Legal Wizard apps or through other means, such as email. We encourage users to periodically review this notice for the latest information on our privacy practices.